February 12, 2017

MY GRAMMY PREDICTION FOR "ALBUM OF THE YEAR": THE BATTLE BETWEEN QUEEN A & QUEEN BEY!

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
25 – ADELE       
LEMONADE -- BEYONCE
PURPOSE – JUSTIN BIEBER
VIEWS – DRAKE 
A SAILORS GUIDE TO EARTH – STURGIL SIMPSON


Let me just say this: I love Adele. I didn’t love “25.” When she released “21,” I thought it was a masterpiece from start to finish from the first time I listened to it. With a string of #1 and top 10 hits to boot, and massive sales, it deserved all 7 GRAMMY Awards it earned in 2012. 

That being said, I thought “25” fell flat. It sold 3 million albums the first week…ALBUMS! I wonder if all 3 million people were disappointed as well – but who cares, it’s ADELE! So, GRAMMY voters love successful records – especially ones that basically save the music industry (see Taylor Swift’s Album of the Year winner last year “1989”). But I don’t believe Queen A has earned another Album of the Year award for this effort.

Who does? Justin Bieber. JKJKJK. Drake deserves a shot for the #2 biggest selling album and an amazing one at that, but he's protesting the GRAMMYs because he thinks they are out-dated and treat Rap and Hip Hop as afterthoughts (hard to argue if you look at the 58 years of GRAMMY history). And who is Sturgil Simpson? A super talented alternative country guy who became the token country album of the year nominee. Just sayin!  We should see big things from him in the future --

Sturgil Simpson on SNL (CLICK HERE)

I digress. So, who does?!!  Queen Bey, baby. I had basically written her off the past few years because it all seemed like way more hype than substance. And when “Lemonade” debuted as a “visual album” among a lot of speculation as to how autobiographical the album actually was, I almost wrote it off. Then I listened to it. OMG! No holds, Bey!


Dabbling in hip hop, R&B, pop, rock, country, soul and more, this album is an experience from top to bottom. Listening to it, I felt the same way I did when I first listened to Lauryn Hill’s “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” -- moved, grooved, uncomfortable, intoxicated.

Here’s the irony of that. In 1999, Hill won Album of the Year for “Miseducation.” That was the last time an African American female solo artist has ever won the top prize even though Beyoncé has been nominated for it three times over her career -- without ever winning.

So if the Academy has taken the temperature of our society and it’s ready to truly give kudos to masterpieces and not sales beasts, then Sunday Beyoncé will finally take her “Lemonade” and turn it into GRAMMY Gold.  

Will Win:         “Lemonade” Beyoncé (Don’t let me down, GRAMMY voters!)
Should Win:     “Lemonade” Beyoncé

Upset:              25 - Adele