July 28, 2015

IT ONLY TAKES ONE PERSON TO BELIEVE IN YOU TO TURN A DREAM INTO REALITY

Seventeen years ago, I shared the initial draft of “Give an Inch a Foot” with a client of mine at Nestle who had turned into a trusted colleague and friend.  

“You’re going to publish this,” she said after reading it.

“Oh, I don’t know if I’ll ever…” 

“No, I mean 'YOU’RE GOING TO PUBLISH THIS!'”  

Tricia Bowles was the first person I ever shared the story with and she would be the only person I shared the story with for at least 10 more years.  After I left MS&L and the Nestle business, Tricia and I stayed in touch.  Every time we talked or emailed she would always either start the conversation or end the conversation with “So, how’s Inch?”

It was Tricia who first told me "Inch" was a story that touched people’s heart.  It was Tricia who first told me I needed to share my writing...I certainly didn't believe her back then about my writing, but I did believe there was something special about 'Inch.' 

For 17 years, I've heard Tricia's voice cheering, poking, prodding, reminding and supporting.  Before I launched the Indiegogo campaign to get my children’s books published, I emailed Tricia with the link and “All because of you…”

Having someone believe in you…having someone be consistent and steadfast with that belief can mean the difference between making a dream a reality or keeping it just a dream. I will forever be indebted to Tricia for her openness, patience, stubbornness and love.  

I dedicate this campaign and these books to Tricia Bowles.  It only took 17 years!!  With love, appreciation, respect and friendship …
              For one small Inch may see just that
              Unless She flew more than She sat
              So don’t forget what made Inch smile

              When given a foot she took a mile!