March 15, 2014

SAY WHAT YOU WILL ABOUT LADY GAGA (AND I'VE HAD MY SHARE OF CRITICISM ABOUT HER THE PAST FEW YEARS), BUT SHE IS ALL ABOUT CREATING MUSIC THAT INSPIRES -- EVEN IF IT DOESN'T SCORE ON THE CHARTS!

An excerpt of her key note Q&A with Fuse's John Norris from South by Southwest...

Kevin Mazur/WireImage
"The truest way for us to maintain the music industry is to put all of the power back into the hands of the artists," she added. "If we are not telling our artists to be creative, what are we? What are we doing? Why is it a prison, and why are we allowing it to be a prison?"
A prison crowded with other successful female artists she is tired of being compared to. “I don’t know what the fuck-all I have to do with Katy Perry," she said. "Our music is so completely different. I couldn’t be more different, really. I really don’t fit in pop music in a way, but I came through it and I’d like to think I changed it in some way so you can feel like you don’t have to fit into a mold."
Gaga also teased future plans, including a new video on March 22 shot at Hearst Castle ("It’s a different type of video for me, in a different way from what we did at South By last night, but still in that same spirit"), and a lot more music in the can -- maybe even an "Artpop 2".
“There’s many volumes of work over a long period of time that have just not been released to the public because I’ve chosen to not put it into the system.," she said. "Sometimes it’s just fun to have records that me and my friends listen to. We love it. We don’t care what everybody else thinks. Maybe one day I’ll release them. And I have a whole second act of “Artpop.”
"I love 'Artpop' so much," Gaga added. "That album got me through the hardest time [after her hip surgery and amidst business-side issues]. Making that record, it healed my soul every single night. It’s like the most incredible thing when your friend can play a bass line and it gets inside your spirit and your heart like that and you say, “I was feeling so sick, but then you played that and now I feel so alive and I can keep going."
"That’s what the fuck it’s all about," she said.