March 16, 2010

RUN OUT AND GET FLOBOT'S "SURVIVAL STORY" TO MOVE & THINK

I've seen the Flobots live several times over the past few years and I was always blown away with their live performances because yes their individual musicality always hit the audience over the head but, as strange as this might sound, it was the fact that each musician on that stage was so smart too!. I mean you can tell that every individual on that stage really THINKS about life ... this album "Survival Story" is the first album that the innate movement of the music is thanks to really, really talented musicians but I think their smarts is finally what drives the music. And not in that "will I ever get a chance to answer a question" nerdy way. I mean... Musically? I mean, forget it! It's like watching the coolest symphony performers smoking behind the bleachers. They have finally realized -- and it shows through from the very first note on this album...that if you are in a band and you get down and rock it out that it is really cool to be really introspective and thoughtful...because in turn you can be thought-provoking, now can't you?! And here's where the "Peas" have gotten it alllllllllll wrong....you can have commercial success, make music that moves people and yet at the same time make music that makes people move AND think -- I am humbled by this effort. I am proud I've been able to watch the evolution. Thanks for making me move and for moving me, Flobots!! See you at the Grammy Awards...http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/survival-story/id360138003