August 7, 2009

Will Whitney CRACK The Top 10?


Such a low-blow but you all know you were thinking it. And let me tell you, haters, it's time for The Voice to come back and come back strong and silky smooth...

After co-hosting listening parties in Los Angeles, New York and London, attended by such collaborators as Alicia Keys and Swizz Beats and celebrities including Martha Stewart and Diane Sawyer (I know, random), Whitney Houston blasts back onto R&B/Hip-Hop Songs with "I Look to You" at No. 27. The ballad, penned by R. Kelly, also bows on Adult R&B (viewable at billboard.biz) at No. 23.

The song is Houston's 41st entry on R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and first since "Try It on My Own" wrapped up a 14-week stay exactly six years ago this week. "I Look to You" instantly becomes Houston's highest-charting track since "Same Script, Different Cast," with Deborah Cox, peaked at No. 14 in 2000. (Deborah's my girl!)

The new single is the title cut to Houston's seventh studio album, due Monday, Aug. 31 (yes, a day earlier than announced!).

P.S. I saw her perform at Clive Davis' Grammy Party in February and she looked healthy and pulled together. The voice that we all knew and loved is no longer what it used to be and probably never will be unfortunately. However, it's time to lift her up.

No comments: